Odette works closely with schools to provide support, advice, bespoke training and practical classroom based activities. She believes passionately that primary practitioners are best placed to ensure language teaching matches the pedagogic needs of KS2 children and specialises in developing their skills and confidence. Her balance of challenge and support ensures class teachers are equipped with a range of skills and activities to ensure every child has access to high quality language learning throughout KS2 and beyond.
Odette has organised many Primary Languages Conferences, run countless INSET sessions, provided in-class support and has planned, delivered and facilitated a full range of CPD opportunities, from half day workshops to university accredited courses.
Her capacity-building approach led to 100% uptake in Rochdale schools, with every child in KS2 having the opportunity to learn a new language in curriculum time in line with the National Primary Languages Entitlement.
In addition to providing training, support and guidance to primary and secondary schools in her own local authority, Odette has been a speaker at national and local conferences and has run training and workshops in many other LAs.
Odette is endorsed by Catherine Cheater and is able to offer training of her highly acclaimed Schemes of Work for French and Spanish.
Odette is a regional trainer for CILT (the National Centre for Languages) and for Network for Languages North West, based at the University of Manchester. She is also a member of NALA, the National Association of Language Advisers.
There are a whole host of ways that I can help you deliver high quality language teaching & learning in your school or Local Authority. I offer a wide-ranging menu of advice, consultancy, support and in-service training which can take the form of in-class support, whole school training, network/cluster training days/half days and strategic planning meetings for senior leadership teams and subject leaders.
“Some of the possibilities are listed below, but I am always happy to discuss your specific requirements and put together a package which is tailored to your individual requirements.”
- Introducing Primary Languages
- Language Upskilling – CILT specification(French and Spanish)
- Training on the Catherine Cheater schemes of work for Primary French and Spanish
- Using finger rhymes, songs and stories
- Team teaching to build capacity
- Progression in Key Stage 2
- Meeting the literacy objectives of the KS2 Framework for Languages
- Intercultural Understanding
- Using ICT to enhance language learning
- Collaborative ways of working (KS2 – KS3)
- Organising language projects
- "Language Detective" Days
- Planning a major language event for children
- Setting up links abroad
- Cross-curricular opportunities
- Strategic Leadership in Languages - working with SLT and subject leaders. Possible areas to cover could include; sustainability, vision, resources, planning (strategic/lessons), funding opportunities
- Support for NQTs, Subject Leaders, Leading Teachers and Advanced Skills Teachers
- Assessment in languages
- Induction and training for Foreign Language Assistants
- Obtaining the International School Award
- Preparing for a subject specific inspection
To enquire about Odette's INSET